Thursday 3 April 2014

Running In the Rain - Day 2

Day Two's prompt was a mixture. Sometimes this happens, I start off with one and another just naturally falls into my thoughts. My first was this picture, a woman running barefoot in the rain. It's a black and white picture and for me, it created an intriguing atmosphere. I imagined it to be warm as she's wearing a summer dress, but the setting doesn't look particularly tropical.
Then I wondered who she was running from (maybe those bad dreams from Day 1) or to? It was at this point that a piece of dialogue I had recorded as a potential prompt fell onto the page.

'The way you flirt is shameful.'

Now, it's often easy to stereotype characters when you first start writing. I try very hard not to do that, but it's not that easy. Anyway, as I'd seen Sandi Toksvig on the telly, talking about renewing her vows with her partner to celebrate the passing of law for same sex marriages my thoughts and scribblings began to follow this path. My original character still featured and she turned out to be running away from someone (and did so with the help of our happy couple.)

For me, it's not important whether the prompt is followed by the end of the writing session, it's more important to develop some threads and that could lead anywhere...

Until Later,



No comments:

Post a Comment