Thursday 3 April 2014

Dream Catcher - Day One

Thought I'd share the creative writing posts I'm using for Camp NaNoWriMo to exercise my writing muscle during April. As you will come to discover, I use a number of different prompt forms. Some are character based, others plots, maybe a first (or last line), some dialogue or a random word or words and sometimes pictures. I find it useful to keep a note of prompts and then choose one, sit down open my journal and write for fifteen minutes.

Day One: As the dream faded, she chased it, forlorn.
This prompt had me wondering who was chasing the dream and was it here and now, in her past or maybe her future?. The word 'dream' conjures up for me, a happy sort of scenario (well at least something that is happier, more positive) rather than a nightmare. Although, my pessimistic mind did lead me to think that 'she' was maybe trying to escape from her more unhappy demons. I'm fascinated by dreams and their interpretations, though I'm not a big dreamer myself. Not when I'm asleep anyway, much different when I'm supposed to be getting things done :). 

Anyway, I found myself at the end of the writing session with the words 'dreamcatcher' in my head and I couldn't get rid of it. So off I went to Google to find out more. I knew they were a kind of native American symbol and I learnt that the term originates from the word for 'spider'. The dreamcatcher is formed from a willow hoop upon which is woven a kind of web. The idea is that the 'bad' dreams are caught in the web allowing the sleeper (usually children) to only have 'good' dreams.

I wonder where all the bad dreams went? Did they escape and end up in someone else's night time visions?



No comments:

Post a Comment