Tuesday 22 April 2014

Catching Up - Day 22

I've been away from my writing desk (virtual and real) for a few days. Though to be fair, they weren't wasted days in terms of writing. I've spent time catching up with my fast growing granddaughter and grandson, finding out what makes them tick, enjoying their individualism and making mental notes about characteristics. I also spent some time enriching my research notes for two writing projects. One is set in medieval times and features the old Abbey at Shaftesbury. This wasn't the first time I've visited the Abbey, in fact it was a day that I spent there some years ago that inspired 'The Morning Gift' but it renewed my desired to see the story evolve into print. So lots of notes made. And the second was a visit to Shaftesbury Museum which stands at the top of the very famous Gold Hill. The museum had a feature on World War 1 - topical as you might imagine. But more interestingly on the role of Fovant and the field hospital that was set up there. Fovant is also famous for it's badges, carved into the rocks on the hills by soldiers from various regiments. This is the setting for a project I intend to start this year. 
So even when writers cannot physically be seen to be writing, they are developing ideas, soaking up inspiration and verifying facts for later use.
But now back to my challenge: I've got 37,000 words to scribble before the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment