Friday 28 January 2011

WRITING ZONES

How Comfortable Are You?
Writing is for many of us something we just have to do. It's not an option, it's a must do. Many writers develop their craft within a particular genre or style which they feel comfortable with and in addition perhaps like to read themselves (oh yes, we writers are readers as well!). The advice 'write what you know' are sage words from those who know better, but sometimes can be a little constrained. And writing isn't supposed to be about constraint, more like a free hand, because it needs to flow. I like to try and experiment with different techniques and most of the time I return to the one I feel most comfortable with - which is fine, no harm done and a lot learnt in the process and I'm thinking particularly here about my attempt at writing monologue. 


At Writers Abroad, we like raising the bar a little and dipping a toe in the water, so our next challenge has the choice of a crime story. I've only just started reading this genre, beginning with Rebus, then the Stieg Larsson trilogy and now the Jo Nesbo series. Can I write and scare readers half to death at the same time? I'm not sure, although I've loved these books so far, I'm not too comfortable now about tattoos or snowmen, so the impact these writers had on me is quite profound. I am known for a penchance for killing off my characters, but usually the death is one from illness, old age or fighting in a war or battle. Not a deliberate, bare faced kill. Thing is, I'm quite looking forward to it and have already been doing some investigation on the internet. Not just about techniques but real crimes (the story has to include one murder) and I felt a little nervous I must admit. What we writers can get away with in the name of our research
I'll let you know how it goes... and if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment