Monday 17 January 2011

WRITING RHYTHM



Finding the Right Beat
heartbeat

After a frustrating week last week, compounded by falling and damaging my thumb and wrist, I sat back and gave myself a serious talking too. Having excited myself dizzy by setting a writing strategy and drilling down to the nitty gritty of my writing fantasies, I felt I should have been further on. 
Like all good intentions, strategies, goals and action lists are only as good as the activities which make them happen and that means getting into a rhythm, finding your pace. Letting the dust settle after all this navel gazing actually means you have to look through the haziness and settle into some kind of routine. Oh! I can hear the cry, but isn't creativity ruined by routine? Not in my writing world, in fact I know that despite my desire to be a wandering scribe, I need to develop a system. I buck against this all the time like a teenager asked to tidy their room. One of my strategies for writing was to expand my 'portfolio' of stories for development. To achieve this I set myself the goal of free writing to a daily prompt. Now I do accomplish this most weeks for Writers Abroad where I really enjoy the challenge of our Monday Muse. In previous years I have for weeks on end, written in a daily journal, using a prompt. 
So I know I can do it. 
The reason I've managed to carry out this activity is because I plan to do it at a regular time (that is in the morning almost before I've discovered it's daylight). It worked then and without that pace, it isn't now.  So listen to your heart and see what your rhythm is telling you.
Until Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment