Friday 7 January 2011

WRITING STRATEGY

Keep the Home Fires Burning
At the beginning of the week made some plans about some works in progress which I have had in my 'action' pile for some time. I was horrified to see that I'd actually left one out of the game. Was that deliberate I ask myself? The project is a fusion of fiction and fact about how I (and my Man Friday) ended up living here in Italy and for that reason it is quite special. We wrote it together and much of it has been based on real life experiences with characters who could be based loosely on ourselves but with some differences. At the moment it really reads like an account and much as we've tried to distance ourselves from the reality it's a difficult balance to make. However, I have written a couple of additional 'short stories' based on the characters and some of it more fiction than fact. So this piece of work, with a working title of 'La Dolce Vita' (not very inspiring I know, but bear with me) is going to be reviewed as a series of short stories and each one revisited in that vain. So that's my major projects dealt with. In terms of new stuff I've now written my 'Writing Strategy' which includes the following:

  • To write and edit at least 2 new short stories per month (probably based on the Monday Muses I submit to Writers Abroad)
  • Submit at least 4 short stories per month to competitions or appropriate markets. If I don't get them out there how can they be considered for publication? In 2010 I made 33 submissions, had 5 short-listed and 3 published, so need to up the anti a little.
  • Write a fantasy based story for young adults - this is the 'out of the comfort zone' project which will hopefully test my writing skills on a number of levels, the genre, the readership and therefore the storytelling. There are a couple of members at Writers Abroad who I'm counting on to see me through this!



So, my fire has been laid, all I need to do now is keep it alight and fuelled and hopefully my writing muscle will  be kept warm enough to deliver! 
One must dare to dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment