Monday 3 January 2011

NEW BEGINNINGS

What Does The Writing Future Hold?
Well, we're at that time of year. The time of the blank page for writers (though for some, perhaps many of us, that time occurs often over the period of twelve months!). But for me, this is a time to reflect on the past, celebrate the successes and learn from the failures. I like living in the present, after all, it's the time and place to be. In the moment. But I also like to think of the unwritten future and make some promises, in the true knowledge that some of those plans will probably be far too ambitious, but just dare to dream. A writing future is the same as any future, some of may be known, most of it is a mystery but all of it stems from a desire to write and to keep on writing (and hopefully improve a little on the way). So this week begins with a little bit of crystal ball gazing, making some new goals, perhaps deciding to ditch a few on the way, but come what may, my future has to be about writing. A good start is a review of my current writing projects: 

  1. All Will Be Well - a novel I wrote over some years and well, it's my first baby. But the time has come for some harsh choices and I know that I either have to shelve the project and allow it to gather dust or do something with it. I had a positive response about turning it into a 'pocket novel' which I am going to revisit this month. If not, then it will be on the shelf - so my short term project.
  2. The Promise - my second novel, which I have had some feedback from my pals over at Writers Abroad. It deserves a revisit of the outline, so it's going to be snowflaked (and check out my earlier posts if you don't know what this means). My intermediate project, lets say by March? (yes, March 2011)
  3. The Morning Gift - is still half-written, but has a good synopsis and maybe out of all of the three of them has the best potential, so I have to get this finished and this is going to be given some time to allow me to revisit what I've done and where I'm going with it. I've read a lot in this genre and timing (the saxon/medieval times) and its one I really enjoy reading about. So my long term project - September.
  4. My 2010 NaNoWriMo challenge, on which I have spent some time on, I'm just not sure about. I lost my way after having to abandon it for very good reasons. I think I need to let this one muster whilst I sort out the other three. It's been a useful exercise to try the plotting method out and I'm sure that it's the right way to go about things. So that will be on a list of  'maybes'.
So at the end of the week, I hope to have something to share with you about some new projects. Some which  may not be quite in my comfort zone, but nevertheless, will be a challenge either for my writing or otherwise! Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment