Wednesday 25 June 2014

Meet Penny from The Good{Expat}Life


Last week I introduced one of the projects I’m working on. Today I've interviewed one half of the two characters, Penny.

1. What is your real, birth name? What name do you use? My father was so disappointed that I wasn't a boy he insisted I was called Phyllis and he could shorten it to Phyl. *sigh* I blame my father for a lot of things, my love of lists, my total non-interest in politics and for wanting me to wear the trousers. I've been known as Penny since the day I was teased at school about having a boy’s name.

2. Do you have a nickname? What is it, and where did you get it? George loves to call me poppet. Usually when he’s done something wrong and he’s trying to butter me up, but it never works. He sings this song about being a poppet and wishing I was small enough to put in his pocket. I know, he’s special… well he has special needs anyway.

3. What do you look like? George would say that I look like Goldie Hawn and every time I look in the mirror I close my eyes and picture myself with long blond locks, large eyes and a smile to die for. Instead I probably more resemble Mrs Brown. But George says I put myself down and who am I to argue?

4. How do you dress most of the time? I’m still wearing clothes that we bought in the UK and all of the power shoulder jackets, smart shirts and skirts that are impossible to garden in have been shredded for one use or another. Usually a pair of shorts (an old pair of George’s that are fraying at the edge) and a grubby t-shirt. Italian clothes are made for much more ‘petite’ figures. As George says I have ‘big bones’. 

5. How do you "dress up?" See Answer to Question 4

6. How do you "dress down?" See Answer to Question 4

7. What do you wear when you go to sleep? See Answer to Question 4 but replace the shorts with boxers.

8. Do you wear any jewelry? What is jewelry? I wear a copper bracelet but it usually turns my skin green. Great for aching fingers tho'.

9. In your opinion, what is your best feature? My big feet, they ensure that I don’t topple over. I’m tall and would look stupid if I had small feet. My father, however, used to sing ‘Can’t love ya cos your feets too big’. See what I mean?

10. What's your real birth date? 29 February So I’m at least a quarter of the age I should be. Is that right? Never was good with maths…

11. Where do you live? In a small (very tiny) casa shared with two dogs, nine cats, a couple of chickens and the odd (tailess) lizard, courtesy of the cats.

12. Do you own a car? Erm, I think it’s silver, quite large and has a few dents in the front wing. That was not a good day, George was most cross but how is one supposed to guess where a concrete post that can’t be seen really is?

13. What is your most prized mundane possession? Why do you value it so much? A very battered Filofax from my days as a proper employed ‘executive’. I know… you wouldn't believe it would you? But it’s handy for keeping lists in. Have I told you I love lists? George on the other hand…

14. What one word best describes you? Tolerant (as long as things are done my way)

Next week we'll talk to George...


No comments:

Post a Comment