Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Good Life...

One of my WiP's (that's works in progress if you haven't read this blog before) is a blend of fact and fiction. Okay, I know that is not uncommon, but this project - referred to originally as The Good Life but now only as 'Penny and George' - has been based on the diary entrants regarding our decision to move to Italy and the first year here. It's a humorous take - well it's meant to be - and started life as a joint writing project with my luomo chi fa (my man that does). The first draft was way too literal, so now I'm reviewing the whole project, creating additional and fictional characters and having quite a time making a load of stuff up, which upon reading, even close family and friends will not know whether to believe or not.

I'm not sure if it will ever come to the dizzy heights of publication but it does represent the real trials and tribulations along with the many, many benefits of moving to a new country, with a new language and new culture to learn. Whenever I say to people where I live, I see that dreamy look cross their face as they imagine me lying by an azure filled swimming pool, heated of course, with a glass of something fizzy in  hand and a bronze tan deepening by the minute. The only real bit of that vignette is possibly a glass of fizzy, now and again. Definitely need to think more Tom and Barbara style with muddy wellies, animals in the kitchen and home made haircuts...

It's been gathering dust a lot lately, although I have had two or three pieces critiqued over at Writers Abroad and been received with some enthusiasm. Hence my determination to finish what I started.

Until Later...

1 comment:

  1. Actually, this sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you continue with it!

    ReplyDelete