Friday 16 March 2012

The Editing Journey Has Begun...

Well, time for celebrations. Just edited my first chapter of 'The Duke's Shadow' and submitted it to my Writers Abroad mates for their perusal. It is one of the most scariest writing moments of my life. Not that WA members are witches or unkind critique-ers, far from it, it's just that there is a high standard of writing in our Chapter Group already. I'm not sure I'll make the mark but I'm willing to learn.

I think that is what I need to keep in mind during this 'rewriting' phase. It is a learning process, a big one and one which I've avoided so far in all five (or is it six) of my big writing projects. Of course, I've edited short stories and flash fiction but thousands of words just seemed a step to far. But it feels so good to have made a first step and I'm not in any doubt that it's a hell of a long road!

So what are the learning points this week from the process?

  • Read through the manuscript first, familiarise yourself with the writing as a reader would do
  • Don't permanently delete anything. Always keep a copy of the original work - I work with versions so I can always retrieve something if necessary
  • Back up you work and remember where! I use Scrivener and had a fit today when I couldn't find the revision I'd done yesterday. Finally found it lurking where it shouldn't be
  • Make the first step and don't expect to get it all right in the second draft. I'm sure that this chapter will change again before I'm happy with it. Getting started and thinking about improving the writing is quite invigorating
  • Remember this is the real writing! The other stuff is just preparation, but as always a good preparation  helps
So, now I've made a start I'm hoping that the flow will continue and that I don't bore you to death in the meantime...
Until Later,



1 comment:

  1. I think the hardest part is accepting that there WILL be more changes after it's been critted. You're right when you say it's all a learning process :-)

    ReplyDelete