Monday 19 March 2012

Spinning Plates is an Art

I've decided to expand my blog entries to three a week - I can hear the groans but it's more for me than anything else. Thing is I have three fairly big projects I've chosen as priority for my writing goals (well, there are more but I may combine them for reporting progress purposes). So, to help keep the momentum swinging and my motivation singing, I thought I'd blog about progress on them.

Wolf Moon is a story which began as a Monday Muse on Writers Abroad. Monday Muses are essentially creative writing prompts designed to encourage writers to... that's correct - WRITE!

So Xanthe is a young girl, not of the earthly kind but she doesn't know that yet, who was born through a muse and she has a mission to fulfill on the Island of Tasosia. Yes, you've guessed it, it's a fantasy genre and perhaps more targeted to young adults, though I'd quite like to think that older readers would welcome a bit of escapism too. I've outlined three novella's, around 30k words in each and I'm halfway through the first draft of the first story. I'm loving the fantasy genre, making up worlds and beings and just being able to really let loose on the imagination. Contrast that with my love of the historical genre which has to have some degree of fact in it, fantasy is quite liberating in a different kind of way. I think I was born in the wrong era, either historical or another land would be really my cup of tea, but I do live a little of those lives, through my writing.

I suppose my point is that it's useful to have more than one writing project on the go. When your words dry up on one, they may spill out for another and it helps to free the mind to allow things to develop. But it's also quite an art I think, in terms of dedication and focus, which requires some skill that I probably will never perfect. So how many plates do you have spinning?

Until Later...


No comments:

Post a Comment