Wednesday 3 November 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day Three



Finding My Voice
And no I don't mean I've lost mine. Today I have made inroads in the voices of a couple of my main characters. It always takes a while for me to 'hear' them. I know this might sound a bit odd, but it really helps if your character talks to you so you can hear their inflections, their speech patterns and develop a sense of their talking rythym. Obviously this may need refining at some point and I probably will find that I've allocated a dreadful speech trait to my main character which readers will hate. But that comes later. NaNoWriMo isn't about a polished piece of narrative or dialogue, it's about producing a first draft. Yes FIRST. There will definitely be a second and most probably a third. So if I've found I've stuck a plum in the wrong mouth, I can always remove it later...
Three days in and I'm hitting the given target, but I want to up my game and word count a little. Think a little more scene planning is in order. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment