Tuesday 5 October 2010

Publication

Is Worth the Wait
I wondered today as I held an anthology with one of my stories in it, if writers continued to get the 'buzz' each time with publication? It really is a special feeling and one that is fairly new to me and I just love it. Maybe I'm self indulgent but the knowledge that someone has chosen your work, paid you for it and invested time and money to reproduce it for others to read is just the greatest accolade I think I've ever had. 
In a previous life, I used to be nurse. Very different reward systems but also very similar. The work was hard but extremely satisfying, the pay was pretty dire but the end result if positive, was always very rewarding. It felt an honour to be part of someone's life and to help them climb over their obstacles. However, it wasn't without its disadvantages and was, for a young adult, very emotionally draining. This experience I think helps guide my writing and helps provide me with the motivation to keep trying. Because the result is always, always worth it.
So the image above is the front cover of the anthology entitled 'Mosaic' printed by Bridge House Publishing. The theme for the anthology was open and so the twenty four stories are all very different and moving for a number of reasons. Fellow Writers Abroad member, Susan Palmquist, is also featured.  Another feather in our cap! Copies are available from the publisher and Amazon... and that's onto another element of writing life. Self Marketing. But enough for now.
Catch up later in the week...


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations and well done! I always get a buzz when I have work picked for an anthology - and I think that's how it should be...

    ReplyDelete