Tuesday 19 October 2010

ARE EBOOKS THE FUTURE?


Maybe Part of the Future
Those of you who know me will not be surprised that I don't believe that E books are the future. I'm a Luddite when it comes to books. I love the whole experience, from browsing in musty, dusty bookshops to opening that first page and breathing in the smell of words on paper. For me its a sensual thing. It uses all of my senses, not just my sight. However, I do think that E books and the machines that are needed to read them, have a place. I would never say 'never' and I do feel that the technological developments that have happened over the last say... ten years have probably done more for writers than anything in the last 50 years. But I think there is a place for both, I don't believe that one will replaced the other, just as much as I don't think that there isn't another way. It's just not my way. 

Having said that Writers Abroad will be producing an Anthology of Short Stories in support of National Short Story Week in November. The deadline was last Friday and all members have been busy reading and scoring stories received from all over the world. The Anthology will be made freely available via a PDF, so score one for E book fans, but I can't resist the temptation to hold a copy of WA's First Anthology in my sweaty little hands. It just wouldn't have the same sort of 'sigh' factor for me, that sense of satisfaction from flipping through something I have helped to create. So I'm not going to climb aboard the bandwagon against E books, but I'm not giving up on the paperbacks or hardbacks either.
I think there is room for all of us.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment