Friday 8 October 2010

National Write A Novel in A Month

Friday Report
Well, my report this week is all about a Work in Progress which is just at the beginning. I'm sure many of you are aware that in November, thousands and thousands of writers have their noses to the writing grindstone and collectively churn out millions of words. All in the name of NaNoWriMo - shorthand for National Write a Novel in a Month. 


This will be my third year, the first I didn't register and managed to complete All Will Be Well by completing around 35k words and last year I started  The Promise and wrote 56k word within 30 days. Many writers I speak to gasp in awe at this feat and prior to joining the merry gang, I think I did too. Whilst I would never say it is easy, what I did find out having dipped my toe into the mill pond, was that it provided me with great incentive to get writing. An incentive which far outstrips any other pressure I put on myself throughout the year. 


So why is that I wonder? I'm not sure its probably one of many things.

  • Firstly because you literally sign up to it I found that small action sealed my obligation. Like a contract if you like (I wish!) and can daily upload your word count - you see your work growing. 
  • Secondly averaging out the word count to meet the overall target of 50k words made it more achievable, its a little over 1600 if you write every day. So not a mammoth task.
  • Thirdly I realised that this wasn't the end of the process, it was merely the beginning (something I've learnt post event) so it freed me up to just write what came along and not to worry about the inner editor, so I switched her off. Well onto silent mode anyway.
  • Finally it's a group thing, you can sign up with buddies, read posting on forums, even connect with people writing in your genre, to see what obstacles and solutions they are experiencing.

For me it's been one of the most useful ways to spend November, the veggie garden has been put to sleep, the animals are snuggling down in semi-hibernation and dark mornings mean I can linger longer in bed with pen and paper. 
So give it a go, it doesn't matter whether you hit the target or not, what does matter is that you write...


Next week I'll share how I prepare myself for this writing extravaganza.
Best Wishes,

No comments:

Post a Comment