Friday 13 May 2011

UNLUCKY FOR SOME?





As many of you know, it's Friday 13th today. The fact that I have only just realised with only four hours or so left has left me with a warm glow. What could go wrong now? I musn't temp fate, however and will need to please some God or another to avoid nasty things. As I was thinking about this I had a sudden urge to look up the origins of this fateful day. 
Apparently, the fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia (Frigga being the name of the Norse goddess for whom "Friday" is named and triskaidekaphobia meaning fear of the number thirteen). Just that mere Wikipedia fact (duly checked I might add) nearly stopped me in my tracks.
The theory claims that Frigga was banished by converted Christians to the mountains and became a witch and every Friday would convene with eleven other witches and the devil (no less) and plotted evil happenings.
A second theory claims that it's the day that an attack was launched on the Knights Templar and their Order and was named the most unlucky day in history. This is further supported by the fact that as the Templars Grand Master was burned at the stake he cursed the King and the Pope claiming that they would both die within the year. And they did. Gruesome, huh?


Anyway, this Friday has been neither unlucky or filled with good things. An average day where I've done a bit of everything. This week my 'golden moments' are:

  • Reached my target of 12k words for my 80k80days work in project numero uno - I know I should be on 13k by now but I have quite a few thousand sitting in my journal in ink, so it doesn't count.
  • Edited three short stories to meet my monthly challenge of four submissions. Don't get me wrong there is loads of work to be done on these yet and one deadline is for Monday!
  • Written and edited two Penny and George short stories for the series and am garnering some courage to submit one to WA for feedback.
  • Continued with my Self Editing course - which I'm behind on but I'll catch up, honest.
Oh, and I can't go without telling you about the image above. This is Frigga, the goddess turned witch, spinning clouds. How wonderfully literary that is!

Until Later...





1 comment:

  1. Did you know her sacred animal is a cat, too? I'm sure black ones would do fine :) One other curious 'unlucky' piece to the 13 puzzle is it's unlucky to have 13 people at a table because it was the number present at the Last Supper. It's always left me curious as to implications about all the other times the same little posse must have sat down to breakfast, lunch and dinner and had a good old shin-dig with no ill repercussions. Surely, on average, it should be considered a lucky number, at least by Christians. I guess logic never has much connection with things like this.

    ReplyDelete