Friday 4 February 2011

LEARNING TO WRITE

Developing a Good Plot
As a writer in progress (and an eternal amateur writer) I am always looking to learn to improve my writing. I thought I'd pick a writing process at the beginning of each month and look for ways, ideas and maybe an on line course to help improve that particular element.


This month's learning exercise will be plot. So I've signed up to a very brief email course from the Email College on 'Creating Great Plots' and as a contrast have signed up to a mini course with Holly Lisle on 'Creating a Professional Plot Outline'. Both of these courses are free and were chosen because of their 'simple' approach. In other words I'm hoping it will do what it says on the can.


I struggle with plot but I'm not sure why. I like to work with my characters first, then the plot should fall into place - right? Hmm, just lately I've not been convinced. Maybe what I really need is help with my characters! What has really led me to consider plotting more is the Writers Abroad challenge this month, one of which is to write a crime short story with at least one murder. And my research has told me that crime stories need to be plot driven. With only 3000 words to play with I know that I need to have a good firm beginning, middle and end and I'm hoping that plotting the story out will help me get to the end. I'm known for my cliff hanger endings which have my fellow writers growling with the frustration of 'so what happens next!'. 


My trouble with plotting I think has been in my approach. I kind of get bored, wanting to get on with the story, then find I run out of steam. Or I refuse to budge from my initial plot thoughts and start arguing with the characters about the next scene. I Now I know that these courses aren't going to help with my rather eccentric nature, but I am hoping that they can give me some sort of structure I can build on and develop my confidence that a plot is better than none. . A good plot outline will give me some sense of the road to be travelled and should allow me a little give if that's what is needed for the story. 


Anyway, will report on my plotting progress next week...
Have a great writing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment