Friday 18 February 2011

JOURNAL WRITING

Along with working on some of the more technical aspects of writing, like plot, I've made a return to some things I'd let drop.
I've always written a diary, since a young teenager when my main aim was to talk to my secret little book like a best friend. I would spill my heart out, confess my worries and angst and generally treat it like a confessional. Those recordings, unfortunately have all been lost (I think I remember having a ritual bonfire). 
I picked up journal writing again some years later, when I discovered my mum had always kept a diary. I remember seeing her scribbling away but like many things she did, I didn't take much notice then. As she now has dementia and barely recognizes me, her observations back then are probably all the more poignant. I still keep what I call a 'life diary', where every week I record what's been going on, a little like a blog I suppose. I also have a travel diary, much less used these days, for trips away and mementos of happy times spent exploring new places.


Six, or maybe seven years ago, when I finally gave myself the permission to write as I'd always wanted I started a morning journal. This journal recorded dreams, first thoughts, ideas about stories or characters. Little things that filled my mind at the start of the day. For some reason for the past few months, maybe longer, I've let it slip and only came back to it when reminded of morning journals while browsing the web. Well, where else would I come across it! 


For the past week I've picked up my journal, uncapped my fountain pen and sat writing before I've even thought past finishing my early morning brew. And it feels good to be back not only because when I do sit down to write I've cleared out all the clutter, but whilst this tidy up is going on, I make progress on some of the projects I've been working on. This week I've tinkered with seven different short stories of varying lengths and written a new piece of flash fiction. Plus I've begun editing 'The Promise', my second wartime novel.
Three of these pieces are about to be submitted for competitions which is a great way to end the week.


Despite inky fingers, I shall fiercely protect my morning muse as part of daily routine, come what may...

2 comments:

  1. I tried writing a dairy once, but I didn't like having to stick to the truth! Fiction suits me better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's the thing about a morning journal, you can write anything you like! I may have a character or a thought in mind or a prompt or something that's nagging me about a piece of fiction so write it out! My life diary is about what happens at home here in Italy, not as exciting but something to look back on!

    ReplyDelete