Friday 17 December 2010

WRITING REVIEW

For Troublesome Times
As I've been struggling to 'write' this week I thought I would sort out my writing desk, both on the PC and the one I sit at. So I've been sorting through piles of papers (some of which are related to writing and some not), updating my works in progress sheet and tidying up my files so that I can actually find things a little easier. There's nothing better than a bit of Feng Shui for a writer, if you're like me your desk will be littered with all things relating to your work. A journal with an article you've meant to be reading for the last two months because you know it will make a difference. The latest purchase of the must have 'how to' write book, gathering dust. Spreadsheets detailing all kinds of thinks from latest markets and competitions to a submissions list which may make pleasant reading until you analyse how many publications you've secured! I've also made a list of all my pieces that I've written for our Monday Muse on Writers Abroad. This can be anything from 400 to 800 words (usually written from a prompt and within 15 minutes) as many of them could be developed but are sat in a dark corner of my PC until now. 


So sometimes the struggle can seem worth it because it gives you space to see through the clutter and to find inspiration and a little bit of motivation. I always stumble through December, always have done whatever I've been doing so I know it isn't about writing. But this week at least I've done something instead of sitting at a blank screen or an empty piece of paper. And it all looks tidier too! So instead of being down on myself I'm going to give myself a pat on the back and get on next week with my writing plan for 2011, then a break for the festivities - even writers need them - and back to business in the New Year. It feels good!
Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment