Friday 10 December 2010

THE NEXT STEP

Making A Scene
Last time I talked about the Snowflake method and how I'm using it to get back into drafting my latest model. So far I have produced a five paragraph 'blurb' about my novel (a little like what you see on the back of books); I've extended this into a one page synopsis; I've created story-lines for each of my main characters as well as character synopses and am just about to finish some minor character outlines; and I also had prepared earlier some fully developed character cv's about their likes, dislikes, their back story and the like. 


So, the next step, according to what it says on the tin, is to create some scenes from an extended synopsis... yes, that's right I have to list all the scenes which I think at this moment in time to turn this outline story into a novel. Having talked and listened to some of my fellow NaNoWriMo scribblers I know that this part is essential if I want to give my novel some legs. So many times I have had an idea that may last a short story length but in terms of becoming anything longer... well, it's been a non-runner. So I know that this is a pretty crucial part. 


One fellow writer also advises that as well as identifying the POV for the scene, the action and conflict should also be highlighted. I suppose this will sort out the weak from the strong in terms of scenes, for what is the use of putting characters in a setting if nothing happens? The 'panster' in me feels that this is a bit too much 'planning' despite my right brain telling me it's the correct thing to do. This part tells me that it isn't telling all the story, it's just giving some headlines. A prompt if you like and I do like. Prompts that is. We have a regular Monday Muse on Writers Abroad and often it's the most satisfying piece of writing I do in 20 minutes. Free flow writing, without worrying about punctuation, the right word or even where it's going. And often I can write up to 700 words. Yes seven hundred words in twenty minutes. So in my scene planning, that's what I hope to replicate. A kind of pertinent prompt that will help the ink to flow (or the fingers to fly).


And that's the other thing. For years I have been unable to write anything straight onto the PC. For the last two months following a dare to myself, I've been writing straight onto the screen. No pen, no paper (well, it will always be nearby) and just me and the white wall of blankness. Let's hope that I can fill it with lots of black letters, the kind which makes some kind of sense...
Until Later...

1 comment:

  1. That does sound like a lot of planning to me - but then I'm porobably guilty of not doing enough.

    ReplyDelete