Monday 6 December 2010

CHARACTER SYNOPSIS

What's Your Story?
Part of my preparation using the Snowflake method has been to develop Character Synopses. This is a little like creating a synopsis for my novel but instead of being plot based, it is character based. And I must say, it's much more exciting. Why is that I wonder? I think it's must because it becomes personal to that character and as you ask 'so what's your story?' then the characters start to tell you, and they start to make the story come alive. For me, plot based always seems a little too constrained, it can't suddenly veer off in a different direction because someone (i.e. a character) has to lead the plot. So for me character based synopsis planning has been a revelation. I've done three main characters this afternoon, around 450 words each, and I've been surprised with their responses and the development of the story as a whole, all in about 45 minutes. I feel as though I've made much bigger steps than if I'd stared at the blank screen trying to write a scene without anything to hang it on. Now I've got a number of scenes, and ones I hadn't envisaged before I started the process. So that has to be good. Doesn't it? 
More Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment