Friday 31 August 2012

Musin'



Well, almost the beginning of a new month, so I've ended this one with a Monday Muse... yes, I know it's Friday but I have to let it mulch for at least four days. At Writers Abroad we have a regular Monday Muse - members take it in turns to submit some creative writing prompts and the idea is to free write. Yep, write without thinking, but of course most writers do think. I write the muses down on the Monday and by Friday (usually) I've got an idea. Then I do sit and free write for 20 minutes (or 500 words approx) and submit my piece on site. The idea is NOT to produce a finely polished story (though many members are good at doing this) but to allow yourself the space and the routine to just write.

It feels good to muse, I always see it as an accomplishment because it is a new bit of writing. It might not set the world on fire in its raw state, but many WA members have gone on and had fully edited and sparkling pieces published on the basis of a muse. So can't be all that bad.

Now onto Chapter Six of The Dukes Shadow...

No comments:

Post a Comment