Friday 9 September 2011

As Easy as 1,2 3?

Continuing with my journey to publish my collection of short stories, Reflections I'm here to report of a very frustrating end to the week. Having finalised the cover last week, I very naively thought that the rest of the project would be easy. And it's not as if I haven't done this before.

The next stage I've been working on is formatting the short stories into one Word document that will be used to create a PDF. This will be the proof that will be used to create the final product so it needs to be perfect.
I've worked out the 'style' I want to create with Title Headings, Fonts, Line Spacing having thought long and hard how it will look in a printed book. Keeping it clear and simple has been my main aim, which I hope is reflected in the final production.

But my main bugbear has been what I thought would be an easy task. Page numbering. Yes, I know it is easy... usually. But I don't want the numbers to start until page 5 and the air has been blue this afternoon, when several times I thought I'd cracked it only to find out that pesky numbers 2,3 4 and 5 have crept in. What about number 1 you say? Well that's easy, missing out the first page, cos Word gives you the option 'different first page'. I think it has something to do with section breaks (don't ask) but I promise I'll get it fixed and let you know how I did it. Unless of course, one of you clever lot know the answer?
Until Later...


2 comments:

  1. Oh God, this sounds like my worst nightmare. Things like numbers, bullets and tabs just seem to mock me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee...:) not long after I posted this I did manage to sort it but I can't promise I'll be able to do it again!

    ReplyDelete