Wednesday 14 May 2014

Following Your Writing Dreams

It is every writer's dream to see their work in print. I don't believe that any writer really wants to keep their work all to themselves. We write so that others can read. But as we all know, writing just isn't about putting words down on paper or tapping them into a PC. There is so much to the writing process that is not about writing.
Marketing is fast becoming the No 1 skill that we writers have to get our heads around. And it's not easy. Generally, writers are not good at selling themselves or their work. It's not what we do best. But we have to learn, whether we are picked up by a publishing house or choose the self publication route, we have to shout out and shout out loud to be heard (and therefore read).
And for me, I learn through my failures. My last marketing plan sort of fizzled out. The promises I made to myself to stand tall and be counted weren't followed through. Most of all I lacked a consistent approach. Next time will be different. It is a hard mountain to climb and sometimes results are slow.
I've had some wonderful comments about The Duke's Shadow. People have taken the time and effort to go out of their way and say constructive things about my book - they've actually read it! So my dream of getting into print and reaching out to readers has been fulfilled in some part. It is these testimonials that I will treasure and return to when I need a confidence boost rather than wallowing in self pity about what I haven't done. 
And in the meantime, I shall continue to follow my writings dreams, by preparing my next publication (more of which to follow).

No comments:

Post a Comment