Friday 20 April 2012

Writers Toolkit - No 1 Favourite: Pen and Ink

Last month I mentioned my three favourite writing tools. Today I'm going to be talking about the first, my fountains pens and ink bottles. I know that makes two, but you can't really have one without the other, can you?

My obsession with pens started a long time ago as a child when my primary school teacher, whose name escapes me, started to teach me to write 'joined up'. I just loved the way the letters formed and flowed and how we were taught between three lines to make sure that we had the tall and the short parts of the letter in  a uniform fashion. That was probably the only time my writing was legible.
My passion for pen and ink developed as I grew up and observed my father making lists. I have lists of lists, written in all kinds of colours and styles. My OH hates them, especially if I put his name at the top!
But it was he who rekindled my love with the fountain pen. He bought me a 1950's Parker Snorkel pen as a gift several years ago and I fell in love with it. I was taken with the notion that maybe some other 'writer' had held this pen and it would afford me special gifts. It hasn't of course, but I have a collection of fountain pens which I use regularly and most often to write letters to family and friends.
Some of my writer buddies think I'm mad writing in long hand for first drafts, but that's the way I do things. It's not that I can't write directly onto the PC, that is how I write my blogs, but I just love to watch the paper fill up with ink.

However, there are some new fangled Digi pens out there, that write like a real pen (hallelujah!) but also store the words you have written and then it can be downloaded onto your PC. Up to 100 pages of A4, apparently. Sounds like progress and it won't make my fingers all inky.
But I don't think I will ever get rid of my collection, just the opposite, I hope to add to it using the fruits of my writing labours! Well, we can all dream can't we?
Until Later,


No comments:

Post a Comment