Tuesday 10 April 2012

In the Spotlight

The Duke's Shadow is getting lots of attention. It feels a little like being in the spotlight (or is that under the spotlight?) and I'm amazed how different the feedback has been and all of it incredibly useful, but I do feel that some decisions are going to have to be made. And how do I know if I'll make the right decision?

For instance, one critique has said that my first chapter is too fast paced, they like the multiple point of view and I need to bring some more to the show. The other has said that the pacing is right but I need to focus on one character, make him more redeeming and bring in some more description. I agree with  both, but will I lose anything in the rewrite? At this stage it's all a learning curve and one that I am enjoying more than I thought. I am getting positive feedback, despite that nasty gremlin on my shoulder who insists I'm a rubbish writer. And I am developing my story, making it stronger and , hopefully at the end of the day, a more satisfying read. After all, the reader has to be the focus for the challenge.
So, I shall rewrite, re-read and hopefully polish my first chapter and that's an achievement in itself!

So how do you make those crucial editing decisions, is it the majority vote, your gut feel or maybe just crossing your fingers and hoping for the best?

Until Later...



No comments:

Post a Comment