Tuesday 28 September 2010

WRITING DRAFTS

Painting A Picture
I subscribe to a number of writing newsletters (in fact, far too many) which fall into my in box on a regular basis. I usually skim read them, scanning for market news, latest tips, writing successes and any little nuggets which may just make my writing life easier. It's not often that I find something new or which affects me profoundly, most of it acts like a kind of 'reminder' of what I already know. However this morning was a little different when I came across a piece entitled 'First Drafts' by Naomi Rose. This writer drew (literally speaking) a analogy between a writer and a visual artist in terms of their initial approach to their creative projects. 


As you know, first drafts for this first time novelist, is very pertinent right now and I'm like a sponge when it comes to anything vaguely concerned with this topic. An artist first sketches out a rough drawing, some of which maybe quite detailed, some more general concepts or ideas but all elements of the intended 'whole'. An artist would never put out their first sketch as completed work (unless posthumously by others as an indication of their skill) and always would use it as their reference piece for the completed picture. A blank canvas and a stick of charcoal are the tools used (my kind of artist anyway) and a connection of thoughts, ideas, settings, people and themes which are then tried out, maybe several times as the creative juices take hold. A kind of giving 'birth' to the form that will eventually be the finished painting or picture. Bringing the canvas to life but with parts missing, parts which need a different approach and colour and parts that may just be airbrushed away. So like first drafts in writing, it struck me, yet I never (until today) had seen it as so... magical and sensual. 
It has really struck a chord as you can probably detect and I'm hoping that later on in my 'editing' slot I shall still feel the same way.
Until Friday,

No comments:

Post a Comment